Eggceptional Eggs-periments – Walking on Eggs
Have you ever felt like you were walking on eggshells? In this last eggs-periment before the Easter holiday this weekend, you will be. Before you hard boil those eggs, place them on the floor and walk on them. Beware, you will probably break a few of them while practicing this demonstration, so have a few extra on hand and make sure you completely clean up the mess to avoid Salmonella poisoning.
Eggshells have the reputation of being very fragile and easily broken, hence the saying about walking on eggshells. So actually walking on them sounds out of the question. But what if eggshells are really much stronger than we think?
The thin, outer coating of of an egg is strong enough to withstand the weight of your body.
- A few dozen eggs that are in egg cartons (Select large-sized eggs)
- Large plastic trash bag
- Bucket of soap and water (and some disinfectant)
- Barefoot friends
- If you just want to attempt the feat of standing on eggs, you’ll only need two cartons of eggs (two dozen eggs). If, however, you’re feeling up to the Walking on Eggs challenge, pick up six or eight cartons of large-sized eggs.
- Spread the plastic trash bag (or bags) out on the floor and arrange the egg cartons into two rows.
- Inspect all of the eggs to make sure there are no breaks or fractures in any of the eggshells. Make any replacements that might be necessary.
- It’s important to make sure all of the eggs are oriented the same way in the cartons too. One end of the egg is more “pointy” while the other end is more round. Just make sure that all of the eggs are oriented in the same direction. By doing this, your foot will have a more level surface on which to stand.
- Remove your shoes and socks
- Have a friend help you step up on the eggs while making your foot as flat as possible.
- When your foot is properly positioned, slowly shift all of your weight onto the egg-leg as you position your other foot on top of the second carton of eggs.
- There will be creaking sounds coming from the egg carton, but don’t get nervous. Ask your friend to step away and allow your fans to click pictures. Just think . . . for all the right reasons, you’ll be an Internet sensation in just minutes.
- If you have more than two cartons of eggs, what are you waiting for? Keep walking! The cheers and wild screams from your fans grow louder with each step you take until finally you land on firm ground and marvel at your success.
For the complete experiment, the science behind it and a science fair connection, visit our Walking on Eggs Experiment on SteveSpanglerScience.com.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] Walking on Eggs Tags: Bouncing Egg, bouncy egg, dissolve the eggshell, egg experiments, Egg Week, Folding Egg, Kitchen Science, kitchen table science, Naked Egg, Rubber egg, vinegar eggFiled under: Experiment of the Week, Seasonal Science Previous article« Teachers Making a Difference – Mrs. Z and her Oobleck Pool of Goo Next articleEggceptional Eggs-periments Day 2 – Dying Easter Eggs Naturally » […]
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!