Frequently Purchased Together
Explore the molecule-twisting, mind-bending chemistry behind polymers with our favorite collection of water-absorbing materials.
You’ll be able to get your hands on Insta-Snow® powder, Water Gel™ slush powder, Gravi-Goo, Orbs, and Jelly Marbles. And if that wasn’t enough, you’ll even get your own Larry (either a shark, frog, or lizard) and a special introduction written by Larry himself. We can’t imagine a better kit to supply you with all of our erupting, growing polymers in one pail.
- Water Gel – When you add water to this superabsorbent polymer, it instantly turns from a liquid to a slushy solid.
- Jelly Marbles – Tiny 3 mm spheres that, when soaked in water, grow into 20 mm water-filled marbles.
- Gravi-Goo – Fascinating goo that finds a way to flows uphill. Sound impossible? Think again!
- Orbs – Colorful beads turn into bouncing, colorful spheres after soaking in water.
- Insta-Snow – Just add water to the powder and before your eyes you’ll have an eruption of fluffy snow.
*Each polymer jar comes with its own activity guide.
How Does It Work?
The superabsorbent polymers in Larry’s Lab are all incredible feats of chemistry that can absorb many times their own weight in water. While they all share that property, each polymer responds to the addition and absorption of water in a different way. For instance, Insta-Snow erupts into a fluffy white powder while Jelly Marbles grow from tiny pebbles into jiggling marbles… and that’s only a couple!
What Does It Teach?
Larry’s Lab offers a unique way of teaching young scientists about the pail of polymer fun that they receive. Included is an activity guide that is written from the point of view of Larry the Polymer Scientist, offering a brief overview of the included polymers. In addition, each polymer jar includes an in-depth activity guide of its own, going into the details and applications of the individual polymers. This kit and the included polymers serve as a phenomenal introduction into chemistry and molecules for all ages and can also be very beneficial in teaching about environmental responsibility and drought resolution techniques.