Do You Have Acid Breath?

Do you have acid breath? Take a quick test to see how bad your breath is…or maybe just do a little kitchen science to test the difference between acids and bases.

Blow bubbles into an acid/base indicator. The indicator in the water will react with the carbon dioxide (an acid) in your breath and change the color of the liquid. Or save your breath and drop in dry ice. It’s also carbon dioxide and will speed up the process.

Cabbage juice (the smell is wonderful) is also a good acid/base indicator. The liquid will turn green when a base is added and will turn red when an acid is added. What common household chemicals and liquids can you test with this? For a complete experiment, liquids to try and more, check out Red Cabbage Chemistry.

• eddie Reply

I tried doing this acid breath experiment with purple cabbage. I blended the purple cabbage real well and then filtered it. Then i tried blowing bubble in it to have the CO2 react and make the cabbage juice solution turn clear. This didnt work. What are the proper steps for this experiment.

April 17, 2012 at 11:59 am
  • Gorgeous Reply

what are the materials needed cause I really need it today

July 17, 2012 at 4:03 am
  • Anta Reply

I m interested in red cabbage chemistry experiment , but I want to take it beyond meaning where steve generated carbondioxide in the same experiment by using dry ice. Pls give me a written info as I gave you my email add before but I did not get any response.
    Anita

October 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

Hi Anta – Here is a link that you can print off with more information on the red cabbage experiment –
      And here’s more on the dry ice/pH experiment –
      1. Fill the plastic cylinder with 400
      mL of water. Add a teaspoon
      (about 5 mL) of Uni ver sal
      Indicator. Use a long spoon or
      stirring stick to mix the solution.
      Note the color.
      2. Drop several small pieces of dry
      ice into the graduated cylinder
      and watch what happens.
      3. The water will cycle through
      colors before finally turning red,
      indicating a strong acid.

October 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm
      • SNIGDHA Reply

WHY DOES THE COLOUR OF THE RED CABBAGE INDICATOR TURN YELLOW ON ADDING PIECES OF DRY ICE? IT SHOULD TURN RED DUE TO THE FORMATION OF CARBONIC ACID

April 5, 2014 at 8:59 pm
  • Joey The Muffin Reply

Its muffin magic! Thats how the red cabbage indicator turns yellow.

April 23, 2014 at 8:37 am
  • Kh Reply

When the solution turns clear what is the pH level of that solution??!!

March 14, 2015 at 9:42 am