Magic Spheres - Science of Density
A ball bearing magically becomes a ping pong ball in a jar of popcorn.
"For this trick, all you need is a bit of un-popped pop corn and a ball bearing." It's the perfect phrase to get all of the people around you excited for a bit of science magic. Many people don't realize that pop corn and ball bearings have a remarkable chemical reaction that turns the ball bearing into a ping pong ball. In fact, when you perform the demonstration, your audience won't believe their eyes.
- Large, clear container with lid
- Un-popped popping corn
- Ball bearing
- Ping pong ball
- Fill a large, clear container 3/4-full with un-popped popping corn.
- Here's the secret... push a ping pong ball down into the popping corn. Make sure that you cannot see the ping pong ball anymore.
- Set the ball bearing on top of the popping corn in the container and place the lid on the container.
- Conjure some magic and swirl the container.
- Like magic, the ball bearing is changed to a ping pong ball!
How does it work?
March 5th, 2013
Click the thumbnail below to see the video.
Nira S Clark - May 1, 2013
This is easy and fun. I am doing a week of science on density and this is my "hook" demonstration. Ball bearings are kind of expensive and I didn't have one, so I used a large marbel instead (same size). Then I didn't want to by a box of ping pong balls (I don't have a ping pong table and they are kind of expensive too), so I went to a dollar tree store and bought a gun that shoots out plastic balls about the same size = perfect. The popcorn was the most expensive thing, so worth it!