Homemade Light Saber
Use the force and hands-on science know-how to become a Jedi master and defeat the Empire.
This was our April Fool’s Day prank for 2013!
While this product is currently imaginary, there are some other cool products that are real. Check out the related products to the right!
From Tatooine to Hoth, there is one legendary weapon that is regarded as the ultimate in Rebel and Empire warfare… the lightsaber. Ewoks, wookies, jawas, and droids all cower before the mighty lightsaber. Wanna make your own? Let us take you to a galaxy far, far away and teach you how you can build your own lightsaber, right at home.
- Use a permanent marker to trace the size and shape of the light switch onto the side of the can.
- Carefully cut out the light switch-sized shape using a box cutter.
- Check to make sure that your light switch fits into the newly cut hole. Increase the size if needed.
- Put the coated wires in the top and bottom of the light switch.
- Attach the uncoated (ground) wire and secure it with needle-nose pliers and a Phillips screwdriver. Once you have the wires attached, make sure the switch is off.
- Attach the Energy Modulation Circuit (EMC) to the end of the uncoated wire with electrical tape.
- Feed the covered and uncovered wires through opening in the side of the can, then out of the top of the can, placing the light switch in the opening.
- Attach the ground wire to the pop tab and secure it with the pliers.
- Create a loop in the end of the covered wire and attach it to the dilithium crystal.
- Secure the dilithium crystal into the opening in the top of the can.
- Using the duct tape, make sure the your lightsaber is securely held together.
- You’re all set! Point the dilithium crystal away from yourself and flip the switch to on. With a “WOOOHM” the lightsaber sparks to life!
How Does It Work?
The key to the operation of the homemade lightsaber comes in the two rare components, the dilithium crystal and the EMC. The EMC, when switched on, converts a standard electrical charge into a hybrid form of energy that emits light, heat, and sound. This hybrid energy is intensified as it passes through the dilithium crystal. This exponential amplification converts the weak, long-wave energy into an a form of short-wave energy that is capable of cutting through most objects.
We’ve received a lot of questions asking us how to create lightsabers of different colors. Unfortunately, only you can determine the color of your lightsaber. Will you use The Force for good, or are you going to learn towards The Dark Side?