Huff and Puff Challenge
Puff and puff, but the piece of paper won't go in the bottle. What in the air pressure is happening?
Putting an item into an empty soda bottle is a piece of cake. Just drop the object through the mouth of the bottle, right? Well, we have a challenge for you. Place a small item in the mouth of a bottle and attempt to blow the object into the bottle using a straw. Not so easy, now is it?
- Small paper ball
- 1-liter bottle
- Drinking straw
- Various small objects
- Create a small paper ball by bunching up a piece of paper. The ball needs to be able to loosely fit inside the mouth of the bottle.
- Place the paper ball in the mouth of a 1-liter bottle that has been placed on its side.
- Direct a straw towards the mouth of the bottle and attempt to blow the paper ball into the bottle.
- The paper ball wiggles and jiggles around before flying out of the bottle!
- Replace the paper ball in the mouth of the bottle and try again. The ball just will not go into the bottle.
Try doing the experiment with other objects! Try:
- Small marshmallow
- Miniature bow
- Wedding mint
- Piece of popcorn
- Every item you try comes right back out of the bottle. What's going on here?