Water Thermometer - Sick Science!
Watch the temperature rise with this homemade thermometer
Is it possible to make a thermometer out of water? Absolutely! The best part about our Water Thermometer experiment is that you have all the materials you need in your own home. That's right, you'll be measuring temperature with this amazing homemade tool in no time.
- Glass bottle
- Modeling clay
- Food coloring
- Container of hot water
- Container of cold water
- Heavy glove
- Fill the glass bottle up to the bottom of its neck with cold water.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the water in the bottle. You pick the color!
- Place a straw (make sure it's long enough) into the bottle. Pack clay around the straw and bottle neck. Make as tight of a seal as possible.
- Now that you've made your thermometer, set the bottom of the bottle into the container of hot water. What happens to the water inside the bottle?
- Make sure you are wearing a heavy glove and remove your water thermometer from the hot water.
- Put the water thermometer into the container of cold water. What happens to the water inside the bottle this time?
- Try experimenting with other water temperatures.
How does it work?
June 8th, 2011
Click the thumbnail below to see the video.
nandini - September 27, 2012
i have never thought that theres a water therometer.by this i came to know so thanks a lot