Science Fair 911 – Display Boards

By Blog Editor Susan Wells

You’ve picked the perfect project, pulled together your materials and variables, conducted your experiment. You can see the finish line. But there is one last piece of the science fair project that remains…the project display board.

I’ve been surprised in my working with students and their parents that the display board can make even the most confident scientists to break out in a sweat.

Don’t sweat the display board – this is where your hard work and creativity really get to shine. It is a display that tells the story of all of your efforts and gives the first impression of your project.

Here are a few tips:

• Keep it simple, neat and organized.
  • Start with a powerful title. You want to grab the judges’ and visitors’ attention. A title like “Mentos and Diet Coke Geysers” is nice, but it doesn’t jump out. Try something like “Icky Sticky Soda Geysers – Which One Makes the Biggest Mess?”
  • Use your imagination and make it attractive. Use pictures, 3-D objects, colors, graphs, charts or illustrations to draw in your audience.
  • Know your facts. Make sure your report, data, materials and conclusions are all well-written and thoroughly researched.
  • Practice and review. Practice your science fair speech in front of friends and family. Ask them to ask you questions about your project and rehearse your answers.

A good science fair project includes:

BIG QUESTION: What are you trying to find out?
HYPOTHESIS: An “I think … “ statement. What do you think will happen?
MATERIALS: A list of supplies for your experiment
VARIABLE: Something that changes in your experiment
PROCEDURE: The steps you take to run your tests
DATA: A graph or chart that shows the results of your test
BIG DISCOVERY: What happened? Explain your results
CONCLUSION: So what? What did you learn?
I WONDER: What does your experiment make you wonder about?

Here is a sample of how to lay out your board:

Science Fair Board Example Steve Spangler Science

• Shannon Reply

Love the layout for the board. This was so helpful to my students as we prepare for our school science fair. It also gives my sons a great resource to use. I will be referencing this on my site!

Primary Education Oasis

January 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm
  • Emalee Reply

I’m looking for a science far project on development of eggs would u plz make a video for this.

December 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm
  • Mrs. Dotts » Blog Archive » January Reply

[…] Display support […]

January 10, 2013 at 5:12 pm
  • Sarah Reply

We’re really looking forward to the science fair! Our group has decided to do their project on the water cycle, but we’re having trouble coming up with a variable aside from leaving out moisture entirely (no water, no evaporation). Any suggestions?

March 21, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi Sarah – it depends on exactly what your project is focused on. Remember to ask a question and then find ways to answer that question by making changes. What will alter my results if I make this change? Good luck!

April 2, 2014 at 4:36 pm
  • Subi Reply

I was wondering what would be a good display for my science fair project. It is about the effects of exercise on Blood Pressure

April 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Think photos and the materials you used to perform your experiment. That’s always a great place to start.

April 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm
  • Crystal Reply

Thank you so much! This is helps me so much as we start my Science Fair. I forgot how all the things you need to write/type. This gives me a picture of how my board should look like.

September 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm
  • Karina Salcedo Reply

Hello! I need help with figuring out creative ways to make my display board! My project is “the effect of videogames on the human body” and it increases your breathing rate, heart rate, and pain tolerance. Thanks!

January 26, 2015 at 10:16 pm
  • Avani Reply

Hey! I was wondering how can I can display my data for the changes in the clarity of a picture when the number of colors changes. Thank you in advance.

February 8, 2015 at 5:50 pm