Alka-Seltzer Rocket

Alka-Seltzer RocketWhat happens when you have a build-up of gas? Please don’t answer that question! The gas in question is carbon dioxide and the explosion is nothing short of fun. This experiment uses film canisters and Alka-Seltzer to create a rocket. Warning: It’s impossible to do this activity just once. It is addicting and habit-forming. Proceed at your own risk!

Watch the video

Read the Experiment

• Oliver Reply

I loved this experiment and I’m doing it for my science project. So THANK YOU~!

March 26, 2006 at 2:40 pm
  • Joe Reply

I’ve been doing this project since i was like seven but i still LOVE it. I have done other things as science experiments such as rockets and methonal cannons witch are better but this one is the only on I can do in my house! :)

April 25, 2006 at 3:43 pm
  • AZ girl Reply

I have done this trick before. No one really expects it to work when… BOOM! That thing can launch like 30 feet!!

May 11, 2006 at 5:07 pm
  • Travis Reply

I love this experiment, I’m using it for my science experiment on chemical reactions. Thanks!!! :)

January 31, 2007 at 1:45 pm
  • Adi Reply

Whats the exact or the best ratio for the highest launch

March 18, 2007 at 10:05 am
  • Steve Reply

Maybe other people can share their experience as well. The results are all over the place because of the many variables (water temperature, how tightly the cap fits, which type of film canister you’re using, etc.). Using the Fuji canister and room temperature water, our students seem to gravitate towards a film canister filled a little less than half full with a quarter of a tablet of Alka-Seltzer. But again… it’s hit and miss.

Best of all, you can see how great this simple experiment is for collecting, organizing and comparing data.

March 19, 2007 at 7:17 am
  • Peter Reply

I love that experiment, i did that in my science experiment report fun thing to do. Alka-Seltzer Rocket launching BOOM!!

July 26, 2007 at 4:47 am
  • Amanda Reply

Does anyone know how to prevent alka seltzer from dissolving? I am doing a science project and I need to know ASAP!!! Thanks

August 8, 2007 at 1:04 pm
    • Silly Reply

Don’t get it wet!

July 8, 2011 at 11:37 am
  • Savannah Reply

heyy Does Anyone Know Who Rode The First Rocket and Left On It?
    Thanks so mUch I need to know ASAP!
    And when was it built/created? and who created and built it?

October 6, 2007 at 6:14 pm
  • Emilymari Rodriguez Reply

In my chemistry class I made an Alka-Seltzer Rocket and I learned how Newton’s Law Motion was discovered by a chemical reaction.

May 20, 2008 at 6:14 pm
  • Bob Reply

I need to know what the best formula is for the best launch. Like how much water in ml and how much Alka-Seltzer in grams.

October 1, 2008 at 5:35 pm
  • trentn Reply

this is awsome how can you do that

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 am
  • Linda@best movies Reply

One for the dangerous but fun category. My other favorite sort of rocket is the match rocket – made by placing 2 matches end to end and rolling in silver foil – really excellent!

March 3, 2009 at 8:29 am
  • rokout Reply

I did this same project at my school a am doing it for my seventh grade science project

July 24, 2009 at 11:36 am
  • sciencefreak Reply

ok question. The more alka seltzer u put in the bigger the chemical reaction?
    i need the answer ASAP!!!!!

November 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Changing the size of the alka seltzer will change the result. You should experiment to find out what produces a bigger and smaller reaction.

November 2, 2011 at 8:51 am
  • Rachel Reply

I have done this before with my class, and want to do it again this year. I ordered film canisters from Ebay, and got Alka Seltzer Plus, but it isn’t working. Am I using the wrong type of canister or is it the alka seltzer? Help!!!

January 15, 2014 at 7:10 pm